For being who I am
Won’t Be Ashamed For Being Who I Am
Adventures in Disability Shaming
In this episode, my son tells me that he wants a new dad, one that isn’t disabled, who doesn’t use a wheelchair or a cane, and who is able to cross the stream by balancing on a fallen eucalyptus tree. I think it may be more-or-less normal for a kid to wish they had different parents, but it felt especially heavy that my kid was trying to hurt my feelings for having multiple sclerosis and being disabled. I pointed out that he was disability shaming me, that it was as if I had told him that I didn’t like being around kids because they don’t have driver’s licenses, or know how to multiply and divide. My point was that there are things that we don’t have control over and that it’s unfair to blame us for them. I think he heard me, the wheels began to spin, and maybe he’ll think this over.
- the heat is working again
- my son tried to hurt and shame me for being disabled
- need to teach disability consciousness to my children
- i went for a ride in my wheelchair with a friend for the first time and it was good
- i’m using a sleep apnea CPAP device to sleep at night, continuous positive air pressure. my energy is better
- Facial lightning returned sometimes
- Time change was rough after 1 year of covid lockdown
- Giant glass chandelier arrived
- Outdoor furniture came
- Heating system repair right now
- Sleep apnea machine is imminent
- Mostly no one listens to this
I moved to San Leandro. Season 5 has begun. I’m unpacking slowly and starting to plug in to the community.
In this episode of the What’s The Matter With Me? Podcast, we’re presenting an interview with newly-elected San Mateo School District Board Member Ligia Andrade Zuñiga, who is a disabled wheelchair user. I interviewed her because I thought it was remarkable for a disabled woman to win an election. It originally aired Monday, December 28th from 6-7PM.on KFJC 89.7FM on the Thoughtline public affairs program. This material was developed to bring under-represented voices onto the air waves at KFJC, in order to “promote and increase diversity at the station.”
What Ligia says is very powerful, and it resonated with me, about how disabled people are invisible. My airname on KFJC is Hemroid The Leader. Please do not be alarmed. it is just an alias.
Join the What’s The Matter With Me? mailing list for new episode releases, exclusive content and messages direct from John.